Thursday, June 23, 2011

Brilliant Idea Brush

Sometimes an idea so simple comes along and solves multiple associated problems. Here is such an idea. Not totally original but applied here it makes a lot of sense.
I have been using an oil finish on the bowls I turn for many years and have found that I like Minwax brand antique oil about the best. Once cured it is food safe. It has more durability than Tung oil and a little less shine, both factors that appeal to me.
I have been using small rags to apply the oil, usually three coats means three oily fire hazard rags that need to be carefully disposed of to avoid spontaneous combustion.
In order to apply the oil with a rag one has to use vinyl gloves to keep hands oil free. Using this foam applicator technique avoids that as the applicator can be easily held without getting oil on ones hand.


The clip is a four for a dollar paper clip. I cut the foam from a piece of 1/2 inch foam received as packaging. The used foam applicators are discarded into the empty cup I used to hold the oil.
Why didn't I think of this before?

No comments:

Post a Comment